Hedgehogs are exotic pets which will amaze you with their rare qualities. Buying a hedgehog can be a daunting task as they are a rare pet. Before buying a hedgehog, it is important to check your state laws regarding keeping them as a pet. You might need a special permit in order to house them.
In this article, we will not only explore different ways in which you can own a hedgehog and also highlight some necessary precautions you need to take while getting a hedgehog.
Ways to get a Hedgehog
Hedgehogs are exotic and rare animals. Do not be surprised if you have to travel some distance or face some hassle before finding a good one. Following are some of the ways through which you can own a hedgehog
- Professional Breeders
There are people who breed hedgehogs for the purpose of selling them. As it is their business, so they breed with utmost care and ensure that you get your favorite pet in best health. It is the safest option, however, not all the breeders have a good repute. Make sure you check the health of hedgehog by relying on the important points mentioned below in the precautions section.
If you are in the USA, you must select a breeder that is approved from USDA. Purchasing a hedgehog from professional breeders is costly than buying from the other options that are listed below. In order to find a breeder in your area, you can Google this with your area and state name. Remember to read reviews from all the people about their experience with the particular breeder.
- Local Pet Stores
There are tens of pet stores in every area. You can find a hedgehog from a pet store. If your local pet store does not have a hedgehog available at the particular moment, you can file a request with them to find you a hedgehog. Upon payment of a nominal refundable advance, they can soon find your favorite pet for you.
If you decide to buy a hedgehog from a pet store, you need to be highly cautious about his health and ask the owner of the store about the source of hedgehogs. Pet stores usually keep male and female hedgehogs in the same cages. Make sure that you do not buy a female hedgehog in this case and always visit the vet after buying from a pet store. Remember to check the license of the pet store to ensure that you are not buying an illegal animal.
- Adoption Houses
It is very rare that you can find a hedgehog from an adoption house but it is possible. Some people after buying a hedgehog may give up their pet because of not getting accustomed with him. Many people donate hedgehog’s babies because they cannot house them properly. Adoption houses usually charge very less as adoption fee but they are very concerned about the well-being of the animal they are giving up. Be ready to fill lengthy paperwork and an inspection of their habitat in some cases as well.
- Friends and Family
It is also possible that someone in your circle already has a hedgehog and is willing to give up his pet. You can post on social media about this and someone might approach you. You can also get a cage and other accessories from them after setting the terms and conditions with each other.
If you are getting a hedgehog through this source, then remember to ask the owners that why they are giving up their pet? Make sure that the hedgehog does not have any fatal disease. Also, remember to confirm the original source of the hedgehog.
- Local Vets
Some veterinarians are also involved in the transfer of pets or they may be able to point you towards good breeders or trustable pet stores. This will also be helpful later on as you will need the services of the vet after owning a hedgehog.
After selecting your favorite hedgehog, remember to fill in the paperwork completely. Paperwork gets more important when you are adopting a hedgehog from an adoption store or from rescue groups.
- Remember to take your hedgehog to the vet for a complete medical examination.
- Hedgehog’s eyes should be bright, round and fully open. Swollen and watery eyes with discharge indicate health problems.
- Your pet’s nose should be clean and dry as a runny nose may lead to some health conditions.
- A healthy hedgehog has clean and without any crustiness or cracking on the outer surface.
- Check the skin of hedgehog while buying it. Any sores, bumps or odd spots can increase the chances of illness later on.
- Remember to examine the gait of your hedgehog as limping or other irregularities in walking may lead to a terminal disease known as Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome (WHS).
- Make sure the cage is appropriate and you give your pet a comfortable habitat with appropriate temperature.
- It is a good option to buy a hedgehog that is at least 6 weeks old as younger hedgehogs are unable to manage on their own.
- If you want to buy a female hedgehog, make sure she has not been housed with males as she may be pregnant. In this case, you may have to handle a lot of baby hedgehogs.
Hedgehogs are rare and exotic animals. Finding them can be a tough task for the first time. Be prepared to wait and it is fine, as you are in for a treat after getting a hedgehog. We recommend that you try to adopt a hedgehog as it can be a great favor for that hedgehog as well, it can also make space for another animal at the adoption house.